Traveling is a huge part of our lives, and for many of our HIITBURN family and clients! Whether a day trip somewhere, flying across the world, or anywhere in between, we all travel usually at least once a year if not more!
We all want to look and feel out best while we travel.
This is why we want to give you some helpful tips and tricks we use to help ourselves to stay on track with our nutrition, while also enjoying our time away!
We never want to feel like we have to starve ourselves or not experience the cultures we are traveling to–just for the sake of “being healthy”.
THAT IS NOT THE CASE AT ALL!
You can enjoy fun foods, desserts, and still stay on track!
Here are our top 6 tips on how to keep nutrition on track while traveling:
1. Bring Your Own Snacks! Whether you are traveling by automobile, train, or airplane, we ALWAYS recommend that you pack some of your favorite, healthy snacks! This will help you to grab something nutritious when hunger strikes, rather than having to purchase something full of grease, fat, highly processed, or very sugary. Packing your own snacks and meal can also save you some money! That’s an extra bonus!
Some of our favorite snacks to bring are: rice cakes, beef jerky, nuts, veggies, and fruit! If you are able to travel with a cooler, then we would also recommend some plain greek yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, hummus, and nut butter!
2. Hydrate with Water! Did you know that oftentimes we think we are hungry, but really we just in need of some water? Dehydration is VERY common while traveling, and so we always bring a reusable water bottle with us for travel days! This helps us to remember to drink water all day long. This will also help to keep your skin moisturized, keep headaches away, and help you to feel your best!
3. Do Some Research! If you are traveling to a new area for a few days, then we do think trying the local cuisine is so fun! We just recommend looking at the menu beforehand and doing some research on delicious, healthy options at the restaurants. We always recommend trying to get veggies and protein in, so we encourage you to try to eat both of those in your meal! It will help you to stay on track, get the nutrients you need, and keep you full longer!
4. Intermittent Fast! This is our secret weapon when we travel! Intermittent Fasting means to have a designated time period of eating, and then a designated time period for fasting (or not eating). For women, we recommend a fast of 10-14 hours and for men, we recommend a fasting period of 10-16 hours. IF has so many benefits, including helping your body to burn more fat, regulate hormones, lower blood pressure, help with digestion, and more! Intermittent Fasting has helped us to find balance while traveling and still enjoy all the delicious foods we love! Interested in finding out more about Intermittent Fasting? Click below!
5. No Guilt or Shame! This one can be hard to really grasp and master. Traveling should be fun–especially if it is a vacation! So, we want to encourage you to enjoy it! That does not mean you need to overeat at your meals or stuff your face and try everything you see. But, it does mean that you can give yourself permission to try some foods you may not normally have, enjoy a dessert or two, and still feel good about yourself. One bad meal will not throw away all your hard work. So, enjoy the trip, but listen to your hunger cues!
6. Stay Active! Whether you have the time to get in your full workouts, 10-minute bodyweight workouts, or only the time to take the stairs instead of the elevator. All are great and when traveling, we always recommend trying to put your body in motion! This will help with blood flow, avoid blood clots, and just help you to feel good. Walking new cities is one of our favorite ways to see new places too! Stay active and your body will thank you!
These are our top 6 tips! We hope you can implement them and really enjoy your next travel day–while also keeping on track with your nutrition!